Monday, September 19, 2005

Exciting but scary

Yesterday was a great day at church. We are just loving our new church home. We had a new lady come to know that Lord that I had gotten to know at the Yard Sale. She has struggled with drugs, and a family that degrades her. But she doesn't want to hurt anymore and gave her life over to Jesus! Praise God! Vola (our pastor) asked me if I would share with her along with him and his wife. So we did and prayed with her. Now she is going to be baptized.

Church was good! It was about Hurricane Katrina, and had an outlook that I hadn't thought about really... That maybe part of the reason this all happened was to show us that possessions don't matter, PEOPLE matter! That it is not mother nature we need to worry about, it is human nature. Talking about all of the looting etc. that went on. That it doesn't matter a lick what you have, that those folks have not been saying, " Oh my goodness where is my big screen tv or what about my car", instead, they have been saying " What about my family and loved ones." I think this is a great reminder for all of us that weren't physically affected- possessions don't matter, PEOPLE matter!

Sunday night, Vola and Dave our associate pastor asked Michael and I (which they had approached us in the past) if we would seriously consider heading up our youth ministry. Mainly Jr and Sr. High. So, we prayed about it and feel that God has called us to show love to the kids. It is a bit scary of an undertaking at first, but these kids don't have a regular program, so I think we will see good response and growth. Please pray for us as we begin this endeavor!

4 comments:

Brooke said...

It is better than watching it on TV huh Eileen! You meanie! Just joking!

I am Heather...creator of all things crafty! said...

I know ya'll will do great working with youth. They need good leaders in this crazy society.

Matt and Cindy Fleharty said...

You two will be excellent youth leaders! I can't wait to hear all about how the youth programs grows!!!

Beth said...

Sounds like an exciting opportunity. Kids that age REALLY need good guidance. We often have kids that come to church without their parents, and I know that many of them don't have any positive adult contact except at church and at school!